YouTube Takes Down Music Prof’s Public Domain Beethoven and Wagner Uploads -

youtube
content-id
Tags: #<Tag:0x00007f206a83fbd0> #<Tag:0x00007f206a83fa18>

“I decided to open a different YouTube account “Labeltest” to share additional excerpts of copyright-free music. I quickly received ContentID notifications for copyright-free music by Bartok, Schubert, Puccini and Wagner.

“Again and again, YouTube told me that I was violating the copyright of these long-dead composers, despite all of my uploads existing in the public domain.”

Kaiser contested all the claims stressing that the recordings of these old composers were not copyright-infringing. The creators have been dead for years, and the recordings were all pre-1963, so in the public domain under German law.

Undeterred, YouTube’s Content ID system went after Beethoven, although that recording could stay online without ads.

“I only received more notices, this time about a recording of Beethoven’s Symphony No.5, which was accompanied by the message: ‘Copyrighted content was found in your video. The claimant allows its content to be used in your YouTube video. However, advertisements may be displayed’.”

Ugh, that last sentence quoted… :face_vomiting:

TF goes on:

While it’s easy to blame YouTube, the real problem, in this case, is that some publishers have apparently claimed public domain works. Perhaps YouTube may want to come up with a strike system for false claims too?

I blame everyone! :slight_smile:

strike system for false claims

Leaving the existence of copyright aside, lack of penalty for false claims is one blame. YT might be a special case (lots of side deals with publishers) but that problem is baked into the DMCA and similar. https://www.takedownabuse.org/ was one campaign-style thing aiming to correct that a couple years ago. I’m sure it will keep on coming up.