World Intellectual Freedom Day 2015

wipo
worldifday
Tags: #<Tag:0x00007f622ed434c8> #<Tag:0x00007f622ed431a8>

The 0th World Intellectual Freedom Day is soft-launched at https://wifo.org/ifday/

Soft and zero because it has some deficiencies unacceptable for a full launch and first edition:

• No translations
  • No editing of materials for accessibility
  • No supplementary media and assets
  • No pre-day build up
  • No publicity team
  • Bare-bones design
  • Lots of backing material and infrastructure is lacking (to be expanded)

This should all be feasible to change drastically for the better for 2016, and the experience of this trial run will help.

Note the page above is just static HTML. Patches most welcome at notabug and github.

Rationale for World Intellectual Freedom Day (some of this is now incorporated into main WorldIFDay page linked above).

For a good future, freedom must replace property as the central paradigm of knowledge policy and the knowledge economy. World Intellectual Freedom Day promotes awareness of this imperative and urges expansion and popularization of commons-based production and policy as effective mechanisms for shifting the structure of the knowledge economy and the imagination of knowledge policy toward freedom.

In order to stress replacing property with freedom, World Intellectual Freedom Day occupies April 26, the same day World Intellectual Property Day has been observed since 2001. A 1999 proposal for World IP Day begins:

Since the 21st Century will be an era of knowledge-based economy and information technologies, where intellectual property will be one major factor for pushing forward social and economic development, to establish and improve gradually the intellectual property protection system has turned out to be of vital importance, either in developed or developing countries, to the national economy, people’s livelihood and international relations.

This gets the nature of the era and importance of knowledge policy right (see WIFO point 1), but the impact of subjecting knowledge to a property regime is so readily assumed to be beneficial to be not called out as such. The assumption is totally wrong. IP is a major factor pushing forward social and economic inequality, control, and conflict. It is of vital importance to turn out IP, for doing so will obtain increases in freedom, equality, and security. These are precisely the outcomes needed for a good future of autonomy and abundance for all.

Trading off freedom, equality, and security for spectacle, as IP does, is making a tragic error and will lead to dystopia. It is of vital importance to replace IP with freedom, even for international relations: in the era with knowledge as the commanding heights of the economy, it is extremely dangerous to subject knowledge to a property regime: inequality resulting from IP is destabilizing, and worse, IP will lead to new trade wars, which could easily spiral into violent conflict.

In 2014 the EFF used April 26 to “honor all the creativity and industry that is happening without a dependence on a system intellectual property.” While a profound step in the right direction (indeed, WIFO claims that commons-based production is the most effective mechanism for tilting toward freedom and away from property), Without Intellectual Property Day genuflects to the notion that IP “can, when calibrated correctly, promote the progress of science and the useful arts.” But IP is calibrated for rent seeking, not promoting science. Further, trading freedom, equality, and security for some other vision of progress is an abysmally bad idea. Instead, rents must be destroyed so that the freedom infringing IP regime constituency contracts, and the progress of science and useful arts resulting from a freedom respecting regime celebrated. (See Without Intellectual Property Day [edit] for version improved without genuflection.)

In 2015 WIFO is using April 26 to launch World Intellectual Freedom Day, calling for replacing property – an inappropriate and dangerous regime for knowledge – with freedom.

Reply to this message, or email info@wifo.org with any kind of suggestion.

Ultrasoft Launch
WPIO: We're Property, It's Over
Food Insecurity Promotion → War
Marijuana patents, property, ideology, incentives, and commons reaction

Some field- and issue-specific days and weeks pertinent to promoting or protecting knowledge commons, approximately by calendar order:

Anything among these that WorldIFDay should copy? Or WIFO should just social media each of them as they pass.

@EvoMRI:

Given their theme for this year, perhaps free and open music might be a good starting point

The World IP Day 2015 theme is “Get up, stand up. For music.” Whatever that means. I didn’t include in initial writeup above for a few reasons:

• I want to focus on big theme of replacing property with freedom, not respond to their minor themes.
  • Music isn’t remotely a compelling case for trading off freedom, equality, and security for production (big drugs and movies at least have high capital costs, so one can semi-reasonably argue that we really won’t have enough of them without making the terrible trade), leaving the argument that some in the music industry have a right of some sort to tax and/or control communications involving “their” music.
  • The actions needed toward making free and open music actually compete (marketing and distribution, creation of cultural relevance) with the rest are still very basic and lack adequate infrastructure.

The last two points are also the reasons why I didn’t include a music category in the initial set for this discussion site.

I don’t think that free and open music is a good starting point for WorldIFDay due to the first point above, but in writing this reply I’m convinced should be addressed somewhere in messaging for the day.

Not entirely off-topic, I wondered if you had seen John Oliver’s interview with Edward Snowden?

Relevant because Oliver is trying to overcome a struggle I believe WIFO will have, and that is that folks’ eyes will glaze over once they have to start thinking about complex ideas, like how IP relates to freedom. Oliver uses an interesting hook to frame the conversation, and while I don’t think you should use the branding of say, “dick pics”, WorldIFDay is a marketing event, so maybe that will inspire.

I will keep this in mind in case any of your TODO items find answers in my brain. You will probably use some templates for the technical tasks, but if you want help or a sounding board, ping me. We could put together a site over tea, as well. :slight_smile:

I’ve seen it now…and you’re right. Getting people to pay attention to any policy issue is hard, doubly when people’s first reaction is a strong gut feeling in favor of bad policy (insecurity state and IP both have that in spades). It does require marketing, in part why I talk about ‘provocations’ in Shuttleworth fellowship application open draft and WorldIFDay is definitely one of those.

Could definitely use an in-person sounding. Will ping you offline. Thanks! :slight_smile:

Added to top of topic:

The 0th World Intellectual Freedom Day is soft-launched at https://wifo.org/ifday/

Soft and zero because it has some deficiencies unacceptable for a full launch and first edition:

• No translations
  • No editing of materials for accessibility
  • No supplementary media and assets
  • No pre-day build up
  • No publicity team
  • Bare-bones design
  • Lots of backing material and infrastructure is lacking (to be expanded)

This should all be feasible to change drastically for the better for 2016, and the experience of this trial run will help.

Note the page above is just static HTML. Patches most welcome at notabug and github.

This made my day, posted at https://identi.ca/debian/note/WKnx5BSWR9Cf57sMlDRnSQ and https://twitter.com/debian/status/591956290122821633

Debian jessie release and 0th World Intellectual Freedom Day on the same weekend, cool! https://wifo.org/ifday/ #worldifday #releasingjessie

:grinning:

First off, I think this is a wonderful concept. As a culture we have so many built-in problems with culture-sharing. As we grow up, we seem to find more resistence to sharing. As children, we are shown how to copy and share… very foundational concepts for growth. As we age, this seems to turn upside down.

I look forward to this project’s growth and I want to help where I can.

Thanks Mitch. I still have to complete complete a writeup of some observations of WorldIFDay vs (mostly) WorldIPDay 2015 and then get to planning for next year; already 6 weeks have gone by! I’ll definitely ask for your help.