Why Everybody Wins If Batman & Superman Are Public Domain

superman
batman
publicdomain
Tags: #<Tag:0x00007fb7d11eb078> #<Tag:0x00007fb7d11eaec0> #<Tag:0x00007fb7d11eac90>

I was pleasantly surprised to find that as the title of a video from Cracked this morning. :slight_smile:

Folks at this forum aren’t the only wonks on the net! =P

Nice to see. Seems the speaker made case that whoever currently controls Batman & Superman could still make money if the characters were in the public domain (giving examples of movies made with public domain characters that made money) but not, as the speaker claimed, that they’d make more or even the same amount of money. I wish people like this begging rightsholders to allow fans freedom to operate (I saw some headlines recently in this regard about Star either Trek or Wars but didn’t read; was there something about fan takes in the news?) would also demand specific policy changes:

There’s also a relevant commons-favoring policy reform to begin putting on the agenda: drastically expand scènes à faire such that characters and stories (and APIs!) cannot be owned, even while particular artifacts such as a particular film are still restricted. Then “they” will no longer control our myths. But I suspect the most powerful way to put such (by today’s reformers’ standards) radical reform on the agenda is to bust the myth that we need freedom infringing mythmakers, by making our own free myths culturally relevant.

I think they meant as fodder for storylines, since the movies are constructed from a medley of plots taken from the comics and books across the years. But that isn’t quite how public domain works, so… marketing? Meh, not sure, maybe that is a hollow point.

If you find that Star * reference, share it here, I haven’t heard anything about it. :slight_smile:

It was Trek: http://www.tor.com/2016/06/23/new-star-trek-fan-film-guidelines/

Quick skim, fan fiction Star Trek film crowdfunded at $100k, threatened by Star Trek monopolists, who later drop suit and release guidelines with guidelines fan films can follow to avoid being sued.

One of ten of those guidelines is effectively a restrictive version of non-commercial. :slight_smile: