Remove Uncategorized and designate On Topic as default category

metametameta
Tags: #<Tag:0x00007f26fac5fe90>

I’ve been messing around with Discourse lately, so this is not very important at all, and is extremely likely to be a non-issue…

As Uncategorized only has the single post used as a welcome message, how about moving that to On Topic, and setting that as the default category? On Topic is essentially that catch-all, but Uncategorized shows up at the top of the list when posting.

Maybe you just move them out of there if they are posted, and I think that is a valid workflow. Just a thought. :slight_smile:

Good idea. I think I tried to do that before but Discourse didn’t let me delete Uncategorized. But I just figured out how to get it to disappear from https://d.wifo.org/categories – categorize the one uncategorized post, and then uncheck “allow uncategorized topics” option in the admin configuration for posting. I don’t see how to set a default topic, but I think that’s what I want anyway. Thanks!

Oh, yeah, the “select a category” default is okay, me thinks. At talkgroup I am going for a really general discussion space, so I renamed the category General.

I am making changes to talkgroup so I have a release valve for my brain, so I work with Discourse a bunch. I even host it as internal comms for orgs. If you have any questions about it, let me know. :slight_smile: