How do we feel about advertising?

Tags: #<Tag:0x00007f7cc0acd868>

I really think that a work reaching “cultural relevance” is very unlikely without some decent branding and/or marketing going along with it. How does WIFO feel about marketing and advertising generally, especially more traditional forms of ads such as YouTube pre-rolls and such?

2 Likes

a work reaching “cultural relevance” is very unlikely without some decent branding and/or marketing going along with it.

Agree. Commons-based production needs massively more marketing and in many cases that might involve centralized marketing-centric (a la proprietary publishers) organizations. Without specifying what it means (because I don’t know) I’ve long pined for “peer production of cultural relevance”; I wonder if there’s some arrangement which gives commons-based products an advantage to counter the severe disadvantage currently faced.

How does WIFO feel about marketing and advertising generally, especially more traditional forms of ads such as YouTube pre-rolls and such?

I’d encourage marketing commons-based products through traditional (including pre-YouTube traditions) means, though that does mean concentrated means, as above.

Speaking of advertising generally, rather than its use as a vehicle to promote commons-based products, web/email/app advertising as it currently exists is problematic. Sketch of an idea for an intervention, with one update, presently working on another iteration to shop around.