How do we feel about advertising?

advertising
Tags: #<Tag:0x00007f622952a840>

I really think that a work reaching “cultural relevance” is very unlikely without some decent branding and/or marketing going along with it. How does WIFO feel about marketing and advertising generally, especially more traditional forms of ads such as YouTube pre-rolls and such?

a work reaching “cultural relevance” is very unlikely without some decent branding and/or marketing going along with it.

Agree. Commons-based production needs massively more marketing and in many cases that might involve centralized marketing-centric (a la proprietary publishers) organizations. Without specifying what it means (because I don’t know) I’ve long pined for “peer production of cultural relevance”; I wonder if there’s some arrangement which gives commons-based products an advantage to counter the severe disadvantage currently faced.

How does WIFO feel about marketing and advertising generally, especially more traditional forms of ads such as YouTube pre-rolls and such?

I’d encourage marketing commons-based products through traditional (including pre-YouTube traditions) means, though that does mean concentrated means, as above.

Speaking of advertising generally, rather than its use as a vehicle to promote commons-based products, web/email/app advertising as it currently exists is problematic. Sketch of an idea for an intervention, with one update, presently working on another iteration to shop around.

Talking to Creators about the NC clause