Ethic Cinema initiative/brand

“Ethic Cinema” was the largest (US$1000) contributor Pepper & Carrot Motion Comic’s crowdfunding. says:

ETHIC CINEMA is non profit organization made by 2 French film makers and various artists, working together on making “libre” cinematographic art. ETHIC CINEMA is also a concept that has for goal to contribute to an ethical economy around artistic creations. This economy is based on collaborative work and free sharing of creativity and knowledge. In this economy, there is no profit based on intellectual property as this intellectual property is defined by the original author as a public property. With this concept, profit comes from the harmony and the resonance effect that takes place from the growing number of protagonists. One’s contribution benefits to everyone. Everyone’s contributions benefit to one. The interest and support of the public in the non restrictive and freely accessible art is the fuel of the economy. This is the definition of what some call the Open Source movement, but in our case, we call it “Libre Art”.

It seems from their concept paper that they’ve defined a brand that they want films to use when meeting three conditions:

1. Use of free software tools (except where none exists) to make the film
  2. Contribution to support free software tools (due to wording of first item, it is not clear whether this condition always applies or only when non-free tools are used because no equivalent free tool exists)
  3. Film is released under a copyleft license

I think the only existing premium and libre video which would meet these criteria is the first and only so far Morevna episode (using and supporting development of Synfig, released under CC-BY-SA-4.0).

Blender films don’t meet the copyleft condition (they’re released under versions of CC-BY). Sita Sings the Blues doesn’t meet any of the conditions, except maybe the second at a great stretch (I think the filmmaker may have given some useful feedback to free software tool makers).

Ze Marmot when released will meet all criteria (using and contributing to GIMP development, to be released under CC-BY-SA-4.0).

I assume since they donated the Ethnic Cinema people think the Pepper & Carrot Motion Comic will meet all conditions. I don’t see any indication that P&CMC plans to contribute to free tool development, which further leads me to believe that the 2nd condition is optional if the film is made with only free tools.

I don’t see anything about trademark on the Ethic Cinema site, despite their first initiative being establishment of a brand for others to use under certain conditions. Hopefully this is a sign that they will list and promote qualifying films rather than taking the usual property-based censorship approach to branding. But I will not be surprised if this is just an oversight.

I have one qualm about the name Ethic Cinema: its ethics are exclusively about free knowledge. Obviously those ethics are hugely important. But they’re already identifying a subset of free knowledge (produced with/supporting free tools, copylefted). I have no idea what the broader ethics of the two French artists/founders are, but if it were me doing the otherwise same initiative, I’d probably add a fourth condition excluding various forms of exploitation and propaganda.

In any case it is wonderful that Ethic Cinema made the P&CMC crowdfunding successful and I hope Ethic Cinema itself is hugely successful and that I and billions of others get to watch many Ethic Cinema qualifying films in the years ahead.

#2 notes that one of the Ethic Cinema co-founders is Purism’s creative director, François Téchené. Couple interesting posts by Téchené at and

(Anyone who hasn’t heard of Purism, they’re one of several current companies/initiatives bringing relatively free software friendly computing devices to market. I’ve read in passing lots of sniping among advocates of these various efforts. I welcome them all. I should make a listicle/summary covering them all. Feel free to beat me to it!)

D’accord. And happy to learn about this.

Reminds me about some discussions over at Fairphone, where I met people from “the other side” finding it really weird that free software was considered by some as an essential ethical component, which for them means labor conditions and care for the environment.

By the way, yesterday I had the wonderful experience of going into a physical bookstore and buying a copy o the Pepper&Carrot comic. Read it in no time after getting home =) and will be back there to get another one or two copies for birthday gifts.

Ethic Cinema has published a short (1:38) video called Street Art Sessions, released under the Art Libre License:

It appears Discourse isn’t auto-embedding media from MediaGoblin links, so also Vimeo:

Hmm, maybe auto-embedding only works with YouTube. In any case, great to see this initiative producing libre video. Hopefully this is the first of many and becomes worthy of adding to the List of Premium and Libre Video.